Methadone is a synthetic opioid that blocks the effects of heroin and other prescription
drugs containing opiates. Used successfully for more than 40 years, methadone has
been shown to eliminate withdrawal symptoms and relieve drug cravings from heroin
and prescription opiate medications.
- CDC Methadone Maintenance Treatment Fact Sheet
- Connecticut Methadone Medical Maintenance Pilot
Project, Final Report to the Connecticut Department of Mental Health and Addiction,
May 2001 (PDF, 240 KB)
- Elimination of Methadone Benefits in Oregon Health Plan and Its Effects on Patients pyschiatryonline.org, Volume 57 | Issue 5, May 2006
- Methadone Symposium, Part 1, Mt Sinai Journal of Medicine, October
- Methadone Symposium, Part 2, Mt Sinai Journal of Medicine, January
- NIH Consensus Statement on Effective Treatment of Opiate Addiction,
*PDF formatted files require that Adobe Acrobat Reader®
Follow this link to download this FREE software now from Adobe.